What are we trying to solve?
The Problem - Youth Mental Health Issues are on the rise
Approximately 1 in every 5 youth experiences a severe mental disorder at some point. Youth with mental disorders face major challenges with stigma, isolation, and discrimination, as well as lack of access to health care and education facilities (Source: WHO). In Hong Kong itself, the incidence of mental illness in youth and adolescents has risen by over 50% in the last 5 years (Source: Bauhinia.org).
Why is this happening? Experts have a few ideas:
• Unrealistic notions of perfectionism among today’s youth
• Rise of social media
• Increasing competitiveness of entry into schools and careers
• General societal shift towards a culture of materialism
• High rates of gender-based violence
• Breakdown of family structures in the face of mounting divorce rates
• Elevated stress related to socio economic status
• Decline in the quantity and quality of free play
• Declining mental health of the adult population
...and the list goes on and on.
There is a dire need to tackle the stigma associated with mental illness in youth, and aid development of resources to help youth facing such challenges.
The Solution - Innovation through Youth Leadership
Who better to lead the charge for youth mental health than youth themselves with the support of the global community!